Sunday, October 17, 2010

DAY 6 Wrap

Oh..My..Goodness...

Seriously, I didn't know it was possible for one person to watch as much television (live) that I consumed today.

Before I dive into a quick summation of my "boob tube" exploits, let me start off by saying why the DVR Challenge is so difficult. First of all, there are serious lack of bathroom breaks. In the case of tonight, with so many back-to-back-to-back programs on my agenda, I hardly have enough time to run to the bathroom and get back to the couch in time before one program ends and the other begins. In the glory days of having television as my bitch, I could pause, rewind, and play programming on my watch. Not anymore.

Secondly, unless you have some errands or hobbies lined up, you actually waste a lot more time around live shows than you would with DVR. Not just with the ability to fast-forward through commercials. But, the simple fact that you have to be in front of the TV at a certain time, for a certain duration each night. No more "DVR Nights" where you can belt out all your shows at once. No, you actually have to set slotted times each night to watch, which actually (for me) has made my life more hectic.

But, I digress. Let's get to a summary of what I did today with my new friend, "live TV."
(For the sake of this post, we'll refer to my new friend, live TV as "Beaker.")

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100118034121/muppet/images/8/87/TF1-MuppetsTV-PhotoGallery-24-Beaker.jpg

Football 10AM-1PM
Rams vs. Chargers

I had to watch this one. I was curious about how the rookie, Sam Bradford, looked. And let me tell you, he was very impressive against the Chargers. Not only did the kid make some great passes, but the Rams actually won the game (and gained a point for me in fantasy football). They are now 3-3 on the young season, and near the top of the NFC West.

If you would have told me that the Rams would have a better record than the Cowboys, Vikings, 49ers, Chargers and Broncos a third of the way through the season, I would have snorted. But here we are with the Lambs...err Rams playing good ball.

I love Beaker.


Football 1PM-4PM
Vikings vs. Cowboys

Ahh, good ol' afternoon football. This is where my fantasy league comes to die.

I should have known that it was going to be a rough day when the Seahawks (yes, the same Seattle club that never, ever wins a ball game when they travel east) upset the Bears at home.

That truly set the pace for my afternoon flop. I should have known it was going to be bad when "Mary" started winning the office pool.

Cowboys shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers and lose to the average Minnesota squad. They return to Big D 1-4, and my fantasy football (and "real" sports fandom) day unravels.

Die Beaker. Kill.


Baseball 5PM-8PM
NLCS Game 2: Giants vs. Phillies

Roy Oswalt is amazing. The Phillies shows the Giants their "O Face" and evened the series heading back to the Bay. Jimmy Rollins' three-run double blew the game open and ended all hope of a comeback. However, the Giants stole one, so to head back to San Francisco tied, is great. Now we'll see what happens beginning Tuesday.


Beaker is no longer my friend. I want to *meep* the *meep* outta him.



So, after all the sports, this is where it got crazy...

Boardwalk Empire (HBO East) 6PM-7PM
Bored To Death (HBO East) 7PM-7:30PM
Eastbound & Down (HBO East) 7:30PM-8PM

I flipped back and forth between the end of the Giants game and the Colts / Redskins Sunday night football game from 8 until the "live" Dexter started at 9.

Whew.

It was quite a bit of television watching, and let me tell you, I'm spent. My eyes are drained at this point and I can barely keep them awake while writing this.

So, in the interest of time and my health (note to self: eating carrots is a great way to make your eye sight strong), I will leave you with these few points about tonight's programming. If you didn't see all the programs I saw, I highly recommend you exit now, for fear that I might spoil a thing or two...


  • Boardwalk Empire was great. Finally we get some payoff on the relationship between Nucky Thompson and Margaret Schroeder. The attraction has been there from the start. You couldn't miss it in the very first episode. These two major characters finally recognized it in the fifth episode. Boy, did they recognize it.
  • Bored to Death was not bad. Nothing really stood out for me in the episode. Except the elf ears on the super fan of Ray's "Super Ray" comic book. Who would have thought that his character drawings would lead to such a following? It even resulted in a barfly enjoying his beard because it was "so beardy."
  • Eastbound & Down was fantastic. I really love the Stevie character. He is simply amazing and really taking over the show.
  • Dexter had another solid showing. I am a little bit unsure about the captured girl who witnessed Dexter killing Boyd. I'm not sure how that whole thing will play out.

So there you have it.

Lots of Beaker watching and then a long post to sum it all up.

Thrilling eh?

And now it's time for bed. My eyes can't stay "meep" open any longer.

3 comments:

  1. Killer. Glad to see you're actually learning something from the challenge. :) The Beaker is killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Race lost out to this challenge? I disapprove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at my program list...boy's gotta watch some sports.

    ReplyDelete