Monday, October 25, 2010

DAY 13 Wrap

So, apparently one of my followers (critics) thought that I should write more about my feelings tied to the shows I watch, rather than recaps themselves.

Fair enough.

I mean, most of the people that are following me (2), watch the shows I watch, so I figured, what the heck?

Especially on a Sunday when the DVR Challenge is at it's most difficult.

Here we go:


"Boardwalk Empire" (HBO East)
I think this episode can be summed up with one word: "Lysol."

The ultimate in product placement, Mrs. Schroeder decides to not become Mrs. Thompson, and instead refers to the product placement of a harsh chemical as a solution to birth control.

Bravo, advertisers for sticking this in. So to speak.

Other highlight of mine was the crazy Chicago gunfire scene. Nothing says hot action i the Windy City like some whores with hidden guns showing up to help Jimmy and Al Capone pull off a thrilling (and totally gruesome) execution.

The creepster moment of the episode was the final scene in which Van Alden choose a belt over Kleenex tissues (would have been another excellent product placement position) and proceeds to flog himself like a maniac. Sure, he has feelings for Margaret, but that's no reason to go postal on yourself. This creepy scene only heightens his persona.


"Bored To Death" (HBO East)

Any show that has Kevin Bacon playing Kevin Bacon is a WIN (at least for me).

What a hilariously funny episode. Lots of laughs and the lines by Mr. Bacon were great.
Such wonderful chemistry between Kevin and Zach Galifianakis discussing the role of "Super Ray" and how important it was that Bacon fully encapsulate the character by moving in, wearing Zach's clothes, etc.





"Eastbound and Down" (HBO East)

You have to love the fact that Kenny's father is Don Johnson. Not only has the post-Miami Vice life treated Don so (un)friendly, but it's just hysterical to see him down in Mexico, living it up as a deadbeat liar....oh wait, that's right...Kenny's living it up in that fashion as well.

Well then, like father, like son.

I have to tell you, Danny McBride is a strong actor. Kenny Powers is a difficult role to play, mostly because you have to make a complete jerk watchable and likable.

I thought the episode was solid, although, I am not sure how the story with Kenny's father will be played out...however, there was some foreshadowing with April, "the love of his life," when Stevie revealed to Kenny that she never got married. Kenny's look of disbelief makes the episode's final scene a forgone conclusion — he leaves April a simply stated voicemail from a payphone: "I'm coming for you." I doubt I was alone when I thought, "Finally!"

As the end of Season 2 approaches, it's become obvious "Eastbound & Down" is a better show when Kenny mixes it up with April. She's naturally sweet, but capable of wicked one-liners and a sense of humor that matches brilliantly with Kenny's.

I hope they find a way to weave her into the final few episodes to set up next season.


"Dexter"

While I am not totally enamored of this Lumen plotline, I am only mildly intrigued. Lumen seems like more trouble than she is worth.

Between her insistence on getting revenge regardless of the consequences and Quinn’s growing suspicions, I can’t help wonder how Dexter will fare through all of this. Will one of these characters finally be the key to Dexter’s downfall or will his cleverness get him out of trouble again. Since the show is only gaining in popularity, I vote for the latter.

However, this season has been kind of a disappointment (for me) so far. I guess when you stack up the awesome writing and character acting of last season's Trinity Killer, it's hard to top.

I don't think this is the end for Dexter, especially with his son, Harrison "The Scratcher," in the picture. However, I think there definitely needs to be a major twist in the story to keep things interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment