Tuesday, October 12, 2010

DAY 1

Perhaps I should give you a little background on this DVR Challenge.

A few days ago, I came to an agreement with a few friends (for the sake of maintaining their identity, I'll be using their "food ordering aliases" - "Dana" and "Mary") that we should free ourselves from relying on DVR technology to record our shows so that we could view at our convenience.

We were all on board to compete, with such lavish prizes as massages and dinners for the victor(s). For some reason, I decided to opt out of the challenge last night. Why? Was I scared that I wouldn't be able to compete? No. Was I fearful that I would not be able to keep up with all the wonderful plots of Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Amazing Race and the Biggest Loser? Not really. I think the reason that I backed out (and convinced my comrades to do the same), was simply that I knew we would all not buckle and complete the challenge without viewing our DVRs. So what was the fun in that? Where's the big prize? I think my rationale was that since there would really be no winner, I thought, what's the point?

The point...I now realized is that impeccability of my word needs to be upheld. I need to complete something I commit to. Not because I have to, but because I must. So, that brings us to a new challenge proposal for myself. With "Mary" backing out (and frankly, it was a wise move on her part since she was off the hook), I have decided to press forward. "Dana" has decided to join in on the DVR torture project as well. No cash and prizes...no winners...simply a challenge to see if I (we) can do it.

Was this the right move? Well, judging by the below picture - maybe not. I awoke this morning after cramming in as much DVR programming as possible the night before to a sacrificial offering made by my friend's (let's call her "Charlie") cat right in front of my door. The poor mouse was helpless, fending off this beast (I call her "Dexter Cat") and trying to run for cover. Well, he ran into me waking up. Since he was maimed, I really had no choice but to prevent the suffering any longer. So, dawning a pair of rubber gloves, I took the little guy outside and read him his last rights. I just hope there isn't any kind of DVR voodoo spell put on me by "Dexter Cat."

Tonight's programming schedule should be manageable. But, we'll see what happens.


1 comment:

  1. EEEEW! That is gross. But I love the blog. And will enjoy watching this project. And I'll enjoy not being part of it.

    "Mary"

    ReplyDelete